Sunday, September 20, 2009


re⋅demp⋅tion 
–noun
1. an act of redeeming or the state of being redeemed.
2. deliverance; rescue.
3. Theology. deliverance from sin; salvation.
4. atonement for guilt.
5. repurchase, as of something sold.
6. paying off, as of a mortgage, bond, or note.
7. recovery by payment, as of something pledged.

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding."
Ephesians 1:8

Redemption. It's kind of a big word. Maybe not the most complex word ever but it has a huge meaning. I think that we throw the word around alot without really stopping to think about what it means and what impact it has on our lives. Our pastor is doing a sermon series on Ephesians and it has been excellent so far. Today he focused alot on redemption and since i keep thinking about I figured I might as well write about it!!

The first point that stuck with me is that we can do nothing to contribute to our redemption. Absolutely nothing. We have nothing to offer Christ. No good intentions, good deeds, or good behavior will ever add to His redeeming sacrifice. In the same way, we cannot be redeemed except through Christ. We were deep in the bondage of our sin, entangled by our evil thoughts and deeds before Christ's blood poured over us and blotted out the sin. There is no way to be redeemed except through the saving blood of Christ. He had to offer His own blood, His own life. I often trick myself into thinking that by serving, saying kind words, and doing the right thing that I can somehow rectify some of my sin. But I can't. I am only forgiven and redeemed because of Christ.

I'm sorry Jesus for my ungrateful attitude. All too often I take for granted the fact that You saved me. You took my sin upon Your shoulders and bore the pain for me. I stand in awe of Your sacrifice and in awe of Your love. Please help me to develop a deeper understanding of You and how You want me to live as a redeemed daughter of the King.

No comments: