Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Reckless Faith

I read this book over Thanksgiving break and I definitely recommend adding it to a "to-read" list. It's written by Beth Guckenberger, an American wife and mom who did missions with her family in Mexico (and maybe still does?). This book doesn't have alot of profound statements or revolutionary ideas. It's simple stories of life in a foreign country living out James 1:27, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this; to look after orphans and widows in distress..." It's simple stories of living out this verse everyday in real life. They weren't missionaries associated with a huge organization. They started out with a couple mission trips to orphanages and felt God's call to care for the fatherless. So they did. One step at a time, one child at a time, one heart at a time.

And along the way, they saw God's hand work in amazing ways. Small? Sometimes. But amazing nonetheless. They learned lessons, cried tears, and rejoiced in the victories of those who they helped.

Reading her story was a breath of fresh air, and encouragement to see the life of someone who didn't change the world but changed the world of one child/person at a time. As I was reading I thought to myself how I hope one day I'll have a book like this. Little lessons along the journey of serving the least of these- the most precious in the eyes of the Father.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh thanks for the suggestion! It's sounds great!

Sharon said...

Just bought it on Amazon. Can't wait for it to be a part of my collection.