Monday, June 22, 2009

Back in the US

Well I am back in the US. My heart is broken, and I am an emotional mess. But I come back more in love with Jesus, more broken for the orphans, more in love with Guatemala, and desiring a deeper relationship with the Lord. I am not ready to jump back into life, into work, and into the daily routines. I just want to grieve over the millions of children without homes. Their deep, empty eyes haunt my heart. The lost and broken people of this world. Their futures send chills down me.

Spencer, a friend of mine, gave me a sermon to listen to while we were in Guatemala. It was by John Piper (a fabulous pastor/speaker by the way, who has released all of his sermons and you can download them for FREE!). Anyway, it was about how the Lord places holy ambitions in our hearts. The sermon struck me right at home and reminded me again of how this burden and brokeness in my heart was placed there by the Father. There are times I wish that I'd never gone to Guatemala, never met Claudia. Yet- IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE! I would not be this girl if I hadn't experienced those things. I would not be clinging to my Savior if my eyes had not been opened. I would not be in love with the sweetest 6 yr-old who lives in Guatemala. My room would not be covered in Scripture and pictures of the orphans. I love the story that God is weaving, despite the fact that it is heart-breaking, painful, emotional, and challenging.

Psalm 146
1 Praise the LORD. [a]
Praise the LORD, O my soul.

2 I will praise the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.

3 Do not put your trust in princes,
in mortal men, who cannot save.

4 When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
on that very day their plans come to nothing.

5 Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the LORD his God,

6 the Maker of heaven and earth,
the sea, and everything in them—
the LORD, who remains faithful forever.

7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed
and gives food to the hungry.
The LORD sets prisoners free,

8 the LORD gives sight to the blind,
the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down,
the LORD loves the righteous.

9 The LORD watches over the alien
and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.

10 The LORD reigns forever,
your God, O Zion, for all generations.
Praise the LORD

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Molly:

Glad to hear the trip was, as always, meaningful. And we know there is a plan for all of this as we trust the Lord and where he leads us.

...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

We are thinking of you as you digest all that has once again touched your heart string.

Looking forward to seeing you on Friday.

Hugs and kisses, Aunt Lucia

Sharon Brani said...

Somehow..someway..joy comes in the morning. I do believe that. Holding on to the One we can trust completely.

Sharon said...

Everything happens for a reason! It sounds like you have already figured out the reason for this! That is really awesome! It is great to know that all of our pain, suffering, and discomfort is there for a greater reason. Sometimes we can't see why, and others we know it's to deepen our faith and love in our God and Savior. And all the while helping those who are in need. Isn't is so awesome how it all works out! God is in control and we just have to trust him!

Amy said...

Oh the tearing of our hearts that comes when we are becoming like Christ. Molly, it is becoming like Him...It is learning to see with His heart and eyes. Remember when Paul wanted to become like Jesus in His suffering? Not without pain do you walk this road and definately not without PURPOSE!! I have found that out of the greatest moments of sorrow come the greatest workings of Christ in me. I know I am not telling you anything new. :) Just want to tell you more than anything...I am praying you through! Love being on this journey with you. Cannot wait to see what is next. HANG ON!

Love,
Amy Arnold