Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Like a River Glorious


Like a River Glorious > Lyrics Frances R. Havergal:
"Like a river glorious is God’s perfect peace,
Over all victorious, in its bright increase;
Perfect, yet it floweth fuller every day,
Perfect, yet it groweth deeper all the way.

Refrain:
Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest
Finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest.

Hidden in the hollow of His blessed hand,
Never foe can follow, never traitor stand;
Not a surge of worry, not a shade of care,
Not a blast of hurry touch the spirit there.

Every joy or trial falleth from above,
Traced upon our dial by the Sun of Love;
We may trust Him fully all for us to do;
They who trust Him wholly find Him wholly true."

I accompany our church's Jr. Choir every week. Each rehearsal, the director picks a hymn for the kids to sing. She has a book that tells the history of the song, and then we sing it together while I play. We've been focusing on the hymn, Like a River Glorious, the past week, and I have found it so incredibly fitting to my life right now. I have found my mind going back to it several times, pondering the words, and praising God for His peace that is like a river glorious.

His peace is perfect. Absolutely perfect. And it grows deeper every day. There are so many things in this world I look for to find peace and security: material possessions, money, family, friends, and even church. Yet here I have a perfect peace right in front of me. I need not search further than the Savior.

I love the phrase, "Hidden in the hollow of His blessed hand." It was interesting to hear the kids' interpretations of this part of the song. We finally concluded that it was as though God was holding His hand in a fist, and we are nestled safely inside, completely protected from all harm. As the storms of life rage, the trials come, and I become anxious, I can rest in the fact that I am hidden in the hollow of His hand.

This last verse just hits my heart right where i need to be pricked. Trust. God has placed every joy and trial in our lives for a reason. The author of this hymn writes, "those who trust Him wholly find Him wholly true." I can trust God, and without a doubt, know that He is fully faithful to His promises to provide for me, and He has a plan for my life.

May His peace wash over your souls this week as you ponder these beautiful words....

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Thank you Molly, that last verse is beautiful.