Monday, February 14, 2011

LOVE

"Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him....Jesus answered him, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word. And my Father will love him, and he will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me."
John 14:21, 23-24

My bible study lesson today was on love. Rather appropriate, isn't it? This passage talks about the relationship between love and obedience. I've heard these verses so many times but never have they sunken into my heart so much as they did this afternoon as I pondered them.

The Lord has been chipping away at my self-righteous pride this past month and I don't like seeing the pieces fall to the ground. They are ugly. And there is still so much more to get rid of. I think of myself as such a good Christian. Such a good person. And yes, I can pull off that identity on the outside. But what's going on in my heart? What's my attitude like? How do I treat others? What do my quiet times look like? I could go on and on but these are just some examples.

If I truly love God, I will seek to know and keep His commands. That is what these words in John are saying. So those nudges that God gives me, or those moments where I know I should choose the Bible over Facebook. While this Scripture can be applied to big decisions of obedience, I was convicted over those little decisions. Those little choices that say, "Yes, Lord, I love time with you more than time on the internet. Yes, Lord, I will be this girl's friend because I love You and Your people more than my reputation." It's keeping His commands that shows our love for Him.

If we love Him, we will keep His commandments.

No comments: