Thursday, May 19, 2011

Loving Spain

The past 48 hours has been a whirlwind. We had hardly arrived in Madrid when we started our tour. Jetlag caught up with me by lunch and I spent the rest of the day feeling nauseous. I fell into bed last night and didn't wake up until this morning. I'd prayed as I went to bed that the Lord would give me energy for today, and He certainly delivered. I am so thankful.

Today was a great day, and we toured this gorgeous city from 9AM-8PM! The Royal Palace, El Museo del Prado, La Plaza Mayor, La Puerta del Sol, a large park, and a bus tour were all today. Our feet are aching, but it was well worth it!! I don't even know how to sum up everything into words.

It was a full day of just soaking in culture, sights, beauty. The art in the Prada was absolutely incredible. I kept forgetting that these were REAL. The artists' hands actually touched this canvas with paint and made it come to life. The pieces had the power to stir emotions. Somehow, their hands created faces full of sorrow and joy. The hands of our Creator instilled in them a gift and ability to create beautiful expressions with paint and a paintbrush. It was really a cool experience to just walk and marvel in the beauty of our God displayed through works of man. This was also true of the buildings, and of this city. You just can't really capture the essence of the history and intricacy in a picture. It's amazing to be seeing these buildings and monuments with my own eyes, knowing that men toiled over these for years, working every detail into a masterpiece. And it's only my second day here.

We're off to Malaga (the beach) tomorrow by bullet train. If we keep up the same schedule, I definitely won't have time to find an internet cafe. But when we get to Salamanca to start classes, I will definitely be uploading pictures.

Thank you so much for all the prayers!
Love you all from across the sea :)

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Hi my little Mollyita!!

Mrs. T text me to tell me that you had just posted tonight. I was sooooooo excited to read it! I am sorry that you were a sicky your first day. :( but I am happy that you were feeling better today. :)

Spain sounds wonderful! I remember the 1st time I saw a famous painting hanging from ceiling to floor and from wall to wall at the Art Institute in Chicago. I know exactly what you mean, it was truly incredible!

Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing more! I think about you ALL day long!

I don't how many times a day I just want to pick up my phone and text you our usual phrase, "What doin'?"

Love you oodles and boodles and noodles and toodles!

XOXO Your Momma (:

julie t said...

Molly, I was away when I read your post and I learned I have way too many passwords, as I couldn't recall this one, to be able to post a comment back at the time!
Your specific descriptions made me feel like I was there almost. It seems just breath taking. I could walk the streets of France and sit at sidewalk cafe's for hours, and Bruce could tour cathedral after cathedral, all day. You'll soon understand both of those things much better, because of where you are, (well, the Spanish version of them anyway). It's almost mind boggling, how much ancient history and beauty surrounds you at all times, isn't it?
Your boyfriend is crossing the ocean as I write. Evidently a fairly full flight and huge, 300+...had to be a wide body plane. He lands 4am our time tomorrow in Tokyo, but no doubt you already know this. Despite being very thankful that you both have these great opportunities, you should just know that it's like a double test (or perhaps HUGE final exam ) for the motherly worry factor vs faith-trust factor.
Take care and be safe ! love, Julie