Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Philippians 3

This passage has been taught THREE times in the past 2 weeks. I think God is trying to get a point across haha.

Philippians 3:12-14 have really been an encouragement to me the past couple of weeks:
"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Each one of us could apply this to a different aspect of life. We each have different races we are running, different calls God has given us.

My race, for right now, if getting through high school. There was a point this past fall in which we thought that I was going to graduate early (this May.Since i'm homeschooled, I could've worked ahead). BUT- God had other plans! And, I can honestly say that I know this plan is better. It really truly is. God has been so faithful to show me that. But sometimes, I just get tired of running this race. As my good friends get ready to graduate I am LOVING watching them finish up their schoolwork and get all excited. It has been so much fun and I can't wait to go to their graduation ceremonies and celebrate their completion of this portion of the race! I am so excited for them. But there's that piece of my heart that is still disappointed that I'm not moving on with them too. So, as I sat in church 2 weeks ago, having a battle inside with my emotions (lingering desire to move on) fighting against my brain (knowledge that I KNOW this is best for me to wait), this sermon was preached.

So now when I'm growing weary of running this race I think of this verse.

I'm "forgetting what is behind"- previous plans that were not the Lord's will

And "straining towards what is ahead"- one more year of high school

As we go through our lives running the rocky mountain paths, and jogging through the smooth paved trails, we can look upward to the Savior who gave us the call. He called us to service with Him, to be salt and light in a darkened world. To serve and love. We can run with our face to the Son, for the one who called us is faithful. And He will never forsake us in this journey. No matter how many times we tire, stumble, or take a wrong turn. The God who called us is faithful. And I'm praising Him for it!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Great thinking! Hang in there! God's plan ALWAYS works out for the better, there is a reason! :)