Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

It is Good Friday and there is so much to ponder. On this day, Jesus Christ made the greatest act of love that this world has ever known or will know. Never has there been a greater sacrifice. The Son of God hung on a cross- brutally scorned, mocked, spat on. When I think of the pain our Savior endured my pride is blown to the ground. It was my sin that He took upon His shoulders. But I am ever so thankful that He chose to love. He chose to die so that we may live. We will LIVE forever. Not because of ANYTHING we have done- ONLY because He died and paid the punishment for our sins. We will live eternally in heaven with God if we repent and except God's gift of eternal life, given by grace alone.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

“You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”- Romans 5:6-8

So today, I am mindful of and thankful for Jesus' amazing gift. As though I haven't given you enough to chew on....... here's a poem and 2 songs that have been running through my head.

The Greatest Gift of Love

As I think of this day, and my comfortable life
I can't help but imagine all the terrible strife
That sweet Jesus endured, and all for our gain.
For our gift of life, the Son of God was slain.

On that dark somber day our Christ Jesus was hung
On a cross made of wood, a victory won.
Each bitter thought was placed on his head
The price was paid- “It is finished,” he said.

I cannot comprehend this incredible act.
Such love we were shown, and we can't pay it back.
Undeserving, unappreciative, and selfish am I.
My heart breaks to think- for my sins did the Savior die.

On this day of rememberance, as we ponder it all.
May our hearts feel the grief, the results of the Fall.
May we see the great love that sweet Jesus has shown.
May the gift of salvation in this world be made known.
Molly 4/10/09
You all probably know this son but take a moment and ponder these wordsds:

How Deep the Father's Love For Us
How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
And make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory
Behold the man upon his cross
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom
Why should I gain from His reward
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom
Are you moved? Touched? Do you know this Son of God who died?? Will you join me in Heaven someday?? My prayer for this blog is always that God would use it to turn hearts to Christ. On this Good Friday as we consider this incredible free gift, would you consider taking apart in it? If you have not accepted God's free gift of grace and salvation, please do not hesitate!!
Praying you have a memorable Easter weekend. We are heading to our Good Friday service and I'm looking forward to communing, fellowshiping, and worshiping together with the Body tonight.
Love you all,
Molly

2 comments:

Sharon said...

This was a great reminder of what happened on Good Friday, and it really shows me how selfish I am to not even think about it much until I saw this post. Saying "thank you" to our savior isn't even enough, the least we can do is give our whole lives to him and live ONLY for him, which is much harder to do than just say. I think it is really awesome that you are using this blog to tell others, saved and unsaved, about our great God! Thank You! May we never forget what God did for us, by dying on the cross!

Spencer said...

You're best poem yet.