Sunday, August 30, 2009

Faith without deeds...

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do....... As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.
James 2:14-19, 26

I am convicted. Again. I read this post on Katie's blog and sat and cried as I read her words. The need in this world is SO GREAT. And my selfishness and fear is huge as well. I look at Katie's life and part of my heart cries out Yes Lord THAT is what I desire for my life. And another part of heart says that someday I can help. Someone else will do this work. WHY?!! Why do I sit comfortably here in my life, going from place to place, spending money here and there. Why do I wait for someday or sometime?!!

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." I read the statistics, I feel Katie's sorrow, passion, and brokeness radiating off the computer screen, and I read this verse and ask myself what it means. How am I to live this out? I'm actually scared to put this post on my blog because then it's out there. I'm acknowledging that I need to do more. I need to step out of my comfort zone and be the hands and feet of Jesus right where I'm at. I'm disgusted with my selfish heart. I'm ashamed to see all the opportunities to serve and give that I've passed up simply because it would require some small sacrifice on my part.

But that's not the end....

I have a God who loves the orphan and widow more than I ever can. I have a God who loves me more than anyone ever will. I have a God who offers mercy and forgiveness more than I could ever ask for. I am a work in progress, a piece of work being constantly refined by the Master's hands.

"....being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. " Philippians 1:6

This is my hope- that God will redeem those times that I've chosen selfishly and that the next time I'm presented with a chance to serve, to give, to live out my faith I will joyfully choose to be a blessing. After all my Jesus has done for me, how could I choose any other way??

No comments: