Sunday, August 30, 2009

Just a stone..



"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9
You know, sometimes I stop and wonder what God is thinking. I wonder what road He has me on, because my road map certainly did not show this as part of the itinerary. Other times, I come up to a fork in the road.... except it's a fork with like 8 different paths. And then I wish that He would just choose for me haha. Either way, this journey of life is really quite a bit harder than it looks.
And I have alot of learning to do. My dad told me today that he'd read that the most frequent command in the Bible was not to fear. Over and over, God told His people Do not fear, my children!! because He knew that life gets hard. He knew that we would be prone to be afraid and would have trouble trusting Him in the storms.
The Lord and I showed me again today that He is trustworthy. I really don't like trusting people. It means giving them my heart, letting them into my life. It means risking being disappointed, getting hurt. I have trouble trusting my life to God as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm holding on with 2 hands, straining to maintain control of my life, my future. But I am not in control. I have a sovereign God who is faithful, and who has a plan for my life. Even though I may not understand it.
I remembered a book I read where the author talked about a mosaic. She said that each season, each chapter of our lives is like a stone. Some of them are beautiful and radiant. Others are cracked, marred by trials. When we're in that part, all we see is that stone. We look at God with eyes full of confusion, unsure of why He chose this path for us.
But later on, as we look back at our lives, we see the mosaic. The stones fit together perfectly. Even the ugly ones fit in to complete the picture.
So when life is stormy and I am forced to hold onto God and trust Him with my life, I remember that this is just a stone, just a piece of the mosaic, a piece of the masterpiece that God is creating.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Wow, I love analogy with the stone becoming a mosaic. I haven't ever heard that one before. I too have a hard time trusting people, and especially God. But I know it needs to be done. If you don't ever trust anyone you will have no true relationships. The rejections are hard, but you learn from them all. We also have to trust God in order to have a true relationship with Him. Although it may be so hard at times, it would be all worth it, because He knows what is best for us!