Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fear

I just got back from a week-long spring break trip with my campus ministry. The theme of the week was pride. It was challenging, convicting, stretching, and encouraging all at the same time.

The Lord convicted me of pride in alot of areas in my life. But one aspect in particular has stuck with me all week, and I can really feel that this is where the Lord wants me to rest at for awhile.

I broke down one night last week as the Lord showed me that I live in fear. This fear is a lack of trust in God. And this lack of trust in God is rooted in pride, because I refuse to rest in His sovereignty. I continue to believe that MY idea of life is better than His will for me.

I live in fear of abandonment....that I will do something to make the people in my life leave.
I live in fear of the future....that my comfort and security will be snatched away.
I live in fear that my health problems will never go away.....

These are all lies. Pure lies from the Enemy, and the Lord showed that to me so clearly last week. The Lord has us in the palms of His hand. Might bad things happen? Yes. Will He forsake us? No. All suffering leads to HIS glory. So who are we to fear when our sovereign God reigns?

I haven't been "miraculously cured" of fear, and in this fallen world I never will be. But it is how I react to this fear that will make all the difference.

I opened my Bible this morning to see what the Scripture had to say about fear and I wrote down the sweet words of truth.

" The Lord is my light and my salvation- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life- of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you..." Isaiah 43:5a

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity [fear], but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

"I sought the Lord, and He answered me; he delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you where you go." Joshua 1:9

It is not God's will for us to live in fear. However, it IS His will for us to live in freedom and truth. So as I go about my day, I am striving to preach these words of truth to myself, using HIS strength to cast out fear. Will you join me?

No comments: