Friday, April 15, 2011

It's the little things!


So the likelihood of anyone reading this blog who is on a sugar-free diet is like one in a bajillion. But just for kicks I thought I'd share some tips/tricks on going sugar-free and enriched-flour free (aka eating only whole wheats). I also need to remind myself that I can do this. There's not as many sugar-free bloggers out there as I thought there would be. Probably because, let's be real, people don't just do this for fun. Splenda is great but it is NOT a thick, gooey brownie with ice cream and chocolate sauce. I've had to literally sit on my hands a couple of times to not grab the dessert from the plate of the person next to me in the dining hall hahaha. Anyways, if anyone is reading this who is doing sugar-free, that would make me so happy, so you should comment. :)

1. Don't deprive yourself of a sugar-free treat because of the fat content. Sugar-free is generally going to be high fat. But you have to put it in perspective. If you're like me, those sugar-free opportunities happen very rarely, and it's not going to kill you to have some extra fat. Those days where you can get something sweet and know you won't feel awful afterwards is one of my favorite days. So forget about calories and just enjoy. It will seriously refresh you and give you new resolve to stick with this diet.

2. If you can, eat small portions of things with a little sugar in them. For example, I "splurge" on
Annie's Organic Whole Wheat snacks. My favorite are the "Bunny's Chocolate Chips." These aren't sugar-free, but they are whole wheat and low in sugar. If I ate a bowl of them, I would definitely feel it the next day. But a few little bunnies give me a taste of something sweet and make the day a little happier :)

3. Rold Gold Honey Wheat braided pretzels. Yummy. This is my favorite once-a-day snack. They're made with enriched flour, not whole-wheat.

4. Whole grain tortilla chips and salsa. For when the munchies hit!

5. Propel Zero. This is made with artificial sweeteners- no sugar and no calories. I get sick of milk and water so this is a great alternative drink.

6. I bought a sugar-free cake mix and icing today. I'll let all you sugar-free foodies how it turns out!

If you made it through to the end I am SO impressed. But at this point in my life, it's these little things that keep me going!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Molly - I've been off and on on a sugar free diet. Until I know what's wrong with me, I'm trying it again. It's hard, but good to know I'm not in it alone. Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany

byhislife10 said...

I love you! and I loved hearing about your new diet after seeing you eating/drinking the stuff you talked about. :)