Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So faithful

God is just so faithful. I am absolutely blown away!! As I look back on the past week(s) I just see His fingerprints all over and I am so thankful. I wish I could remember all of the times that He's graciously worked on my behalf or blessed me in little ways but you would probably bore of reading them. So I thought I'd just post a few.... (this is a really really long post. I'm sorry! I kind of used this as my journaling spot tonight so bear with me and skip it if you don't want to read all of my thoughts- i won't be offended!!) :)


The most recent thing I see is that I realized that I hadn't completed all of the necessary book reports for my school. Not only that, but my last report had to be a book that you pick from a list that they gave us at the beginning of the year. Gulp... so I pouted my way over to the file cabinet and pulled out the list, positive that there would be all of these old-fashioned books for smart kids that love old literature. Well I was wrong. There were some of those old classics (i'm sorry Dad, they're just not for me!!) but there were also some good contemporary books. One that caught my eye was by Elisabeth Elliot called "Quest For Love." I'd read her "Passion and Purity" a year or so ago and recalled enjoying it so I decided to try this one. I am so glad that the Lord made that title pop on the page, because this book is SO GOOD. I am learning so much, and I feel like the Lord is speaking to me straight through the pages and the words of Mrs. Elliot. He's pricking my heart in some places and showing me things that I will need later on. The book is a compilation of stories from men and women who have had both successful relationships and failed ones. She takes each story and pulls out these truths using the Word. The main theme so far is what a Godly relationship between a guy and girl looks like. I have been reminded again that the Lord created the man to be the pursuer, and for the girl to respect him and let him lead and initiate. That just doesn't happen in this world and it makes me wonder if there's a guy out there who will follow this!! What if I sit back and wait and nobody comes for me? Well, the Lord just knew that we would wonder and so He gave us these precious words to treasure in our hearts:


My [daughter], if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,

turning your ear to wisdom

and applying your heart to understanding,

and if you call out for insight

and cry aloud for understanding,

and if you look for it as silver

and search for it as for hidden treasure,

then you will understand the fear of the Lord

and find the knowledge of God.


Proverbs 2:1-5


What a beautiful promise. The other thing that I've been encouraged by in this book is an affirmation of my decision not to date in high school. My parents and I made that decision together and it certainly wasn't easy; but I have no doubt that it's what God wants me to do. My Dad gave me this purity ring to symbolize my promise of purity to my husband and I'll wear it until I replace it with an engagement ring!! My heart breaks when I think of all of the girls my age who have given up that precious gift and now they're broken and wounded. I'm so thankful that the Lord has brought people my way, even people I don't know, like Elisabeth Elliot, to give me encouragement to press on, for there is great reward at the end.



Since that post went alot longer than I thought it would I'll just save the rest for tommorow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Molly! Looks like I'll have check out this book! I saw in Brio magazine about that one passion and purity book by the same author and was thinking about reading it. Guess I'll have to read both her books now!

It's so cool that you have a purity ring. I do, too. It's the color of my birthstone. Staying pure until marriage has absoluetly no consquences but only blessing in the end.

See you this weekend!

Kristen