Thursday, May 29, 2008

Grateful

Yesterday at work I had a long phone conversation with a sweet elderly woman that was blind. The poor woman has a terrible rash and she lost the appointment card for her appointment with a different dermatologist and then she couldn't find their number and when she did it wouldn't go through. Several times throughout the conversation she said, "Being blind just makes things so complicated. I'm so sorry you have to look up all of these numbers for me." Now maybe she was just trying to make me feel bad so that I would somehow manage to squeeze her in today. Either way, my heart went out to her. At one point in the conversation I just had to say, "I'm really sorry. This must be hard for you." I so badly wanted to give her a big hug through the phone!! Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I ended that call with "new eyes." Thankful that I can see this beautiful world, that I have sight so that I can function and have a job, that I'll be able to see the faces of my husband and children. I can't imagine being shrouded in darkness 24-7. At times, I think that I would want to just give up and die.

So did you think you were having a bad day? Glance around your room and whisper a prayer of thanks to the Lord that He gave you eyes that can see. When you walk down the hall to see what your mom is making for dinner be thankful that you can see her face smiling at you!! I hope that we never take these simple, yet important things of life for granted!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting! If I was blind, man...I don't know what I'd do...

Anonymous said...

This is a response to your comment on my blog:


NO WAY would I switch churches! I was just talking about the time I switched from Trinity Lutheran to Christ Church. So have no worries. I like it at Christ Church =]